Your skin is exposed to dehydrating elements and pollutants constantly. Using a facial cleanser can make your skin feel clean, soft and fresh instantaneously. You should use a facial cleanser as a part of your regular beauty regimen, as a cleanser can also help in anti-aging in the long run. Facial cleansers can help to reverse the daily effects of dirt, grime and makeup on your skin.
Facial cleansers can be used by everyone, women, men and even kids to eliminate the dirt and impurities that cause all kinds of problems and it can be used irrespective of the age or skin type. However, as you get older, it becomes important that you find a good quality facial cleanser and take care of your skin.
Finding the best cleanser for your skin can be a time consuming, challenging and not to mention an expensive process. Our guide can help you with the information you require to make the decision on the best cleanser that can benefit your skin and is also budget friendly.
Best Facial Cleansers Comparison Table
Types of Facial Cleansers
There are many kinds of cleansers available on the market – bar soap, creamy, foamy, oily and medicated cleansers. Each of these cleansers works on the face and skin having different effects. Some cleansers are meant to remove oil when cleaning, while others help to remove the grime and toxins. So, let us take a closer look at the various types of cleansers available.
Foamy cleansers are the most popular type of cleansers as they produce lather and foam and gives the impression that your skin is much cleaner, while this may not really be true. Foamy cleansers are ideal for oily skin, which strips the oil from the skin. However, you must take care not to overclean the skin as it will remove too much of oil and cause your skin to get dry and dehydrated; this will cause the skin to produce more oil. Foam cleansers are also available as gel foam cleansers and creamy foam cleansers.
These cleansers are suitable for normal-to-dry, dry and dehydrated skin types. A good quality creamy cleanser can remove makeup, mascara, eyeliner and sunscreen and leaves the skin hydrated and ultra soft.
These are quite mild and do not produce a lot of foam or suds. These are suitable for sensitive skin and usually, do not have sufficient grease to remove sunscreen or makeup. Although gel cleansers can be used for all types of skins, they are best for sensitive skin.
Pre-cleansers make use of oils to remove sunscreen and makeup before washing with a facial cleanser. Pre-cleansers are excellent for dry and acne-prone skins. The pre-cleansers containing argan oil is good for dry skin, while those with jojoba oil are suitable for acne-prone skin.
Both these oils are excellent for removing dirt and grime before cleansing with a facial cleanser. The oils in the pre-cleanser work on the top layers of the skin and hydrate it so that the facial cleanser does not overstrip the oil. The sebum present in the pores are dissolved and loosened by the oil and the facial cleanser helps to wash it away.
There are mainly foamy or gel cleansers which contain active ingredients. Most of the acne cleansers contain ingredients such as tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide, lactic acid, salicylic acid and glycolic acid, which help to prevent acne. However, you must take care that these ingredients are not in very high levels, as it can cause over stripping of the skin. When you buy an acne cleanser, make sure that the active ingredients are around 2% or 3% and any higher level can cause a skin imbalance.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Facial Cleansers
While good quality cleansers work well on all types of skins, usually dry, oily or sensitive skin may respond well to cleansers with special formulations. If you have sensitive or dry skin, then it is better to use a creamy cleanser that adds moisture to your skin while cleansing and if you have an oily or combination skin, you could go in for a gel-based or liquid-based cleanser.
Most users prefer facial cleansers that produce a lot of lather. However, the amount of lather produced by the cleanser does not have any correlation with its cleaning ability. Some of the best top-quality cleansers have a creamy and lotion type of consistency and do not lather a lot.
Some facial cleansers contain active ingredients that help to reduce your pore size, treat acne and even skin tone. If you suffer from skin problems such as allergies, psoriasis or eczema, then it is better to use a cleanser that is formulated especially for damaged, sensitive skin that does not cause any irritation.
If you suffer from acne and are constantly struggling with blemishes, you may be quite tempted to use a really strong cleanser that can dry out the acne. However, drying out the acne may cause them to recur, causing a vicious cycle. You could use an acne cleanser alternated along with a moisturizing cleanser to prevent your skin from drying out too much.
Even if your facial cleanser is natural, it may contain some fragrance from the natural ingredients like essential oils. If you suffer from allergies or any other conditions that make you sensitive to fragrances, then it is a good idea to choose a cleanser that is fragrance-free.
Use Makeup Remover
If you make use of a makeup remover, then you don’t really need a facial cleanser to remove makeup. However, if you don’t want to use a separate product to remove your makeup, then you could look at a cleanser that removes stubborn makeup too.
Look for a facial cleanser that has proven ingredients that do not irritate or damage the skin. Ensure that the cleanser has very low quantities of gentle detergents generally used in them like ammonium laureth sulfate and cocamidopropyl betaine.
Ingredients such as witch hazel, menthol and alcohol may keep your skin refreshed but can cause drying as they strip away the essential moisture from the skin. Look for a cleanser that has natural, proven and soothing ingredients that will help to cleanse your skin without drying or damaging it.
Top 4 Reviews of Facial Cleansers
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
- Pack of three, 16 ounce (Total of 48 ounce)
- Specifically formulated for normal, oily, and combination skin
- Removes surface oil and dirt without leaving skin feeling tight or overy dry
- Non-irritating, fragrance free, won't clog pores
The Daily Facial Cleanser from Cetaphil is a gentle and low-foaming cleanser that leaves your skin clean and fresh each day. The facial cleanser removes all the dirt, grime and makeup without stripping your skin and making it dry.
The special formula of the cleanser is non-drying, non-irritating and is also non-comedogenic, which prevents your pores from getting clogged. The Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser is great for use on acne-prone skin and skin with other conditions. The facial cleanser is a great product that is sure to keep your skin fresh, clean and healthy.
- Low lather formula.
- Formulated especially for combination and oily skin.
- Non-irritating formula.
Buy It Here
You can buy the Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser on Amazon.
L'Oréal Paris Go 360° Clean Cleanser
- Face wash for sensitive skin
- Fragrance-free and soap-free
- Help clear pores for a deep clean with Scrublet tool
- Removes all traces of oil, dirt, make-up
- Formulated with Glycerin and Shea Butter
The L'Oréal Paris Go 360° Clean Cleanser contains a gentle formulation of glycerin and shea butter that offers gentle yet effective cleansing of the skin and removes any dirt, grime and makeup. The cleanser especially works very well when used along with the cleansing disk.
The unique formula of the facial cleanser reaches deep into every pore, offers deep cleaning, reduces the pore sizes and also makes the skin appear cleaner and clearer. The Scrublet is very easy to use and cleans the pores deeply.
In fact, the L'Oréal Paris facial cleanser along with the Scrublet have been proven clinically to be better than other regular cleansers and gives you “picture perfect” skin. The L'Oréal Paris Go 360° Clean is ideal for people having sensitive skin as it is soap- and fragrance-free. The facial cleanser removes the dead skin and offers a smoothening and softening effect.
- Soap-free lotion.
- Contains shea butter and glycerine.
- Comes along with a scrublet with soft bristles.
Buy It Here
You can buy the L’Oréal Paris Go 360° Clean Cleanser on Amazon.
Olay Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser
- Exfoliating facial cleanser provides gentle exfoliation while cleansing for a refreshed, smooth feel
- Lathering formula exfoliates dull surface cells & primes skin for hydration
- Professionally formulated for daily use with the ProX by Olay Advanced Cleansing System (NOT INCLUDED)
- Professionally designed by the Global Derm Alliance
- Fragrance-free formula works gently on skin
After a stressful day, when your skin is looking dull and tired, the ProX Olay Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser can give you an instant “pick me up” and renew the texture of your skin making you feel smooth and refreshed. The microbeads formula of the facial cleanser produces lather and offers thorough cleansing, as well as exfoliation, while keeping your skin hydrated, refreshed and smooth.
The formula of the ProX facial cleanser primes the skin gently for moisturization. Designed for daily usage, the special formula of the Olay Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser is fragrance-free and ensures that there is no damage to the skin. By including the Olay Exfoliating Renewal facial cleanser to your daily regimen, you can take your facial cleansing routine to an entirely new level.
- Exfoliating facial cleanser
- Lathering formula
- Formulated with ProX
- Fragrance-free cleanser
Buy It Here
You can get the Olay Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser conveniently on Amazon.
Christina Moss Naturals Facial Cleanser
- ESPECIALLY GREAT FOR THOSE WITH VERY SENSITIVE SKIN: NO harmful chemicals of any kind (no chemical preservatives, no SLS, SLES, Propylene Glycol, PG derivatives, parabens, sulfates, dyes or synthetic fragrance). Greatly improves condition of the skin and pores. Perfect for ALL skin types. Hypoallergenic.
- OUR PRODUCTS ARE CONCENTRATED AND EFFECTIVE: Gently and thoroughly cleanses your skin without stripping, drying or leaving build-up. Our 4 oz. tube is equivalent to 8 oz. of other products. A dime size drop will cleanse your whole face. Works extremely well with a Clarisonic and other skin cleansing tools. Made for both women and men.
- MADE WITH CERTIFIED ORGANIC ALOE VERA: We only use de-colorized Aloe Vera in our Facial Wash. 100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED. We guarantee purity and freshness for 6 months after your purchase date. Should anything appear unsatisfactory to you within that time, simply return it for a replacement or full refund.
- DESIGNED TO GET YOU RESULTS: Uniquely designed to gently, thoroughly, cleanse your skin while delivering key nourishing & benefiting ingredients. While it can be used alongside other brands, our products are formulated to support a highly effective relationship with one another. Properly layering CMN products brings optimal benefits & the best results possible. With our custom blend of clear & pure ingredients and complete lack of toxic chemicals, our products are considered the best available.
- YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AT ANY AGE: Your age does not define who you are. Fresh, vibrant skin & healthy hair say a lot about a person. The question is, how do you maintain the freshness & vibrancy of youth without chemicals? No one ever said they wanted to grow up & have invasive surgery, skin injections or laser treatments. It's expensive, scary & it often looks quite artificial. There is a solution. Human skin is a living organ that absorbs what is applied to it. This is where our products come in.
If your skin is of the sensitive type, then the Christina Moss Naturals Facial Cleanser is a good daily facial cleanser to use. The cleanser is chemical-free and cleanses your skin gently without drying it out and it also improves the condition of your skin. And, just a dime-sized drop of the cleanser can clean your entire face leaving it soft and youthful.
Made completely of natural ingredients like olive fruit oil, coconut oil, aloe vera and rosemary extract, the cleanser gives you youthful skin which is healthy and vibrant. Although the Christina Moss facial cleanser is suitable for all types of skins, it is especially good for people with sensitive and acne-prone skin.
To ensure that the product you buy is of the highest quality, the facial cleanser is prepared freshly each week and comes along with a freshness date. And, when you purchase the Christina Moss facial cleanser, the purity and freshness are guaranteed for 6 months.
- Made with 100% natural certified organic ingredients.
- Chemical-free. Does not contain propylene glycol, parabens, PG derivatives, SLS, SLES, sulfates, synthetic fragrance, dyes, etc.
- Comes in a tube that is recyclable.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Made in the USA.
Buy It Here
You can buy the Christina Moss Naturals Facial Cleanser on Amazon.
There are so many types of cleansers out there, hundreds of brands at varying price points. While some of them may dry or irritate your skin, others may make your skin very oily, while some others may cause you to discover more blemishes. Usually, the effects of a facial cleanser take a long time to be revealed and buying a cleanser by means of trial and error can be quite impractical. So, we hope that our complete guide on facial cleansers can help you choose the one that is “just right” for you.
Last update on 2021-06-15 at 04:02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API