Choosing the Best Night Cream
Until about a few decades ago, the idea of using a night cream would have drawn smirks — why would you want to put on a cream on your face before going to sleep? What is the need? What difference would it make overnight? And the truth was, there was a general lack of awareness and too many external pollutants that would have rendered this exercise an extravaganza.
But that was then and this is now. With plenty of research available, people have a growing awareness of skin products such as night creams and are more open to using them as their daily beauty regime.
Do You Need a Night Cream?
You will only use a night cream if your skin demands it. Earlier, men and women nearing their 50s were more likely to use it, but lately, people in their late 30s and early 40s have also started using it.
These days, men and women are more aware of the products available on the market. More than the awareness, there is a want to use these products. What has changed in the last few years? Maybe it has to do a lot with the availability of information, but whatever the reason, using night creams is a healthy habit.
Why Use It at Night?
As fantastic as it may sound, but the truth is that the skin goes into a “protective mode” (because it is undisturbed and at rest), when you sleep at night, by shedding or mending old cells and building new ones. A night skin boosts this process — it boosts collagen, hydrates your skin, increases blood circulation, prevents the skin from sagging, restores elasticity and works towards giving the skin an even complexion and a finer texture.
What to Look for in a Night Cream
Of course, the creams that you use during the day are light and loaded with nutrients and other ingredients that perform functions towards supporting your skin through the harsh sun and other environmental factors. Compared with that, night creams are heavier and also do not contain sun protection factor (SPF). Vitamins and antioxidants play a major factor as it is the time the skin really starts repairing itself.
Here are some of the ingredients to look for them in a night cream:
Vitamins A, C and E
Both these vitamins are awesome anti-aging ingredients and are full of antioxidants that rejuvenate the skin. While vitamin C aids in skin elasticity and the production of collagen, reducing fine lines and the appearance of uneven tone, vitamin E is a skin-soothing agent and prevents the signs of said fine lines. Vitamin A works alongside other vitamins and helps fight acne, excessively dry and skins, psoriasis and thickening of the skin.
Simply put, retinol is a vitamin A derivative that stimulates collagen, unclogs blocked pores, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, the damage caused by acne, dark spots and scars and has been proven to work. In other words, it works miracles and should be used regularly if your skin can take it. But if your skin doesn’t agree with it, it will show signs of redness and dryness.
Like the other ingredients such as vitamins C and E and retinol, neuropeptides promote elastin and collagen production but are gentler. One of the biggest benefits of neuropeptides in a night cream is that they deliver visible results when it comes to skin firming and renewal and improves texture and glow.
Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid
The two are very effective ingredients for hydrating the collagen. Hyaluronic acid binds water and moisturizes the skin, but the skin tends to produce less and less of it as one ages. Hence it is important to have this component in your night cream, as it renews the skin’s outer layer and makes it smooth and supple and of course, fantastically hydrated! And naturally, that takes care of the wrinkles and the fine lines.
Ceramides, on the other hand, are a type of lipids that hold the cells together and form a layer that keeps back moisture by forming a protective layer. In skin products, ceramides are used to restore these lipids which decrease with age and use of other products. So together, hyaluronic acid produces the moisture and ceramides hold it in), these two work as a team and are an integral part of the best night creams.
If you have been on the “natural” path, these are the ingredients to look for in a night cream:
These ingredients are sure to rejuvenate your dull, tanned, or aging skin, as they are rich in vitamins A, C and E and antioxidants.
Naturally, as we have seen with other beauty products, each skin type has different needs and hence while choosing the best night cream for you, you should always consider your skin type. Let’s take a look:
After a certain age, say around 40, one needs extra hydration for the skin. If you have oily skin, avoid creams that are likely to cause acne. In other words, avoid creams that have oil as a component or as a base. Ingredients to look for in case of oily skin are glycolic and lactic acids (to clean pores), glycerin and hyaluronic acid. Avoid heavy creams as they may contain oil.
If you have dry skin, the natural choice for ingredients for your night cream should be ceramides (for repairing the skin’s barrier), glycerin and hyaluronic acid (that attract the moisture) and dimethicone and mineral oils (for sealing the moisture in). Creams with shea butter, almond oil and avocado work best for those with dry skin.
You will need something that sits lightly on your skin, is not greasy and something with no fragrance, because that may exacerbate sensitivity. Having said that, some of the products that are fragrance-free, have a mild aroma because of the natural ingredients which may include rose or lavender oil. Other ingredients that are beneficial for the sensitive skin are antioxidants such as neem, tea tree oil or cucumber that soothe the skin.
For All Skin Types
A type of night cream that works for all skin types are algae (green, brown and red fauna found in the sea) based products that are rich in minerals, vitamins, essential fatty acids and proteins. Another such ingredient found in many skin products these days is seaweed and are rich in iron, potassium, zinc, manganese, vitamins A, B, C, D and E. Together they work towards improving circulation, detoxification, immunity and regulating your hormones.
Best Night Creams
Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Revitalizing Night Cream
- Regenerist Night Firming Cream Mositurise - 50g/1.76oz
The product claims to renew the skin’s surface and soothes over fine lines by providing deep hydration for a younger looking skin in the morning. It firms the skin, giving it a lifting look and exfoliates and revitalizes the skin. One of its main functions is to regenerate the surface cells on the skin to keep hold of its youthful look by using an advanced amino-peptide that delivers anti-aging agents deep into your skin. Hyaluronic acids and pentapeptides target areas are the most susceptible to wrinkles, including the jawline, eyes and the chin.
Neutrogena Triple Age Repair Anti-Wrinkle
- 1.7-ounce jar of Neutrogena anti-wrinkle daily moisturizer that deeply moisturizes and targets three common skin issues: wrinkles, uneven tone and firmness-the ones that age you the most
- Moisturizer is clinically proven to help smooth look of wrinkles, even skin tone, and visibly firm skin for a difference you can see in just as little as 4 weeks. Results can provide smoother and younger-looking skin
- Anti-wrinkle formula contains powerful Hexinol technology to help boost skin's ability to improve its appearance and vitamin C to help gently fade the look of dark spots while evening out skin tone to fight the signs of aging
- Moisturizer with sunscreen helps skin from sun damage, and it's formulated with broad spectrum SPF 25 to help protect future signs of aging from the sun
- Apply moisturizer evenly over face and neck every morning after cleansing for best results and for younger looking skin. At Neutrogena, We're Not Anti-Aging, We're Anti-Wrinkles
This is a night moisturizer that addresses the common issues that are associated with aging skin. It improves skin firmness, equalizes skin tone, smooths wrinkles and all this is possible because of the vitamin C and the Hexinol technology that helps boosts the skin’s ability to improve its appearance. Some customers have claimed that the results become visible in as little as four weeks! Shea butter soothes, nourishes and moisturizes the skin and reduces inflammation, while glycerine helps retain the skin its moisture.
Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Night Cream
- ACTIVATE YOUTH WHILE YOU SLEEP: This luxurious night cream, powered by breakthrough Retinol Tri-Active Technology, delivers transformative results to visibly minimize lines and wrinkles and smooth skin's texture with two varieties of Retinol, fast-acting and timed release plus a Retinol booster.
- RESTORE YOUR YOUTHFUL CONTOURS: This anti aging treatment contains peptide-rich Red Algae Extract helps improve firmness and elasticity to restore youthful contours. This intensely nourishing and moisturizing formula melts into skin for a supple, vibrant complexion.
- REGENERATIVE EXTRACT FOR YOUTHFUL LOOKING SKIN: This night time treatment also contains Swertia Flower Extract, a revolutionary technology inspired by regenerative medicine. The Extract helps increase skin's resilience to boost firmness and elasticity for renewed, more youthful looking skin.
- WHAT ELSE DO I NEED?: Youth Renewal Night Cream can be used in any Murad regimen as part of Dr. Murad's inclusive health system of care. Pair with Murad's Retinol Youth Renewal Serum, Retinol Youth Renewal Eye Serum, and Age-Balancing Moisturizer with SPF 30 PA+++ for optimal results.
- IT'S NOT SKINCARE, IT'S MURAD: Murad is founded on the simple truth that living younger is a choice you can make every day. 25 years ago Dr. Howard Murad founded the first modern doctor brand of clinical skincare products, with a goal of making beautiful, healthy skin attainable for everyone. He has changed how the world sees skincare through his pioneering research and a Connected Beauty philosophy.
This is a luxurious cream that very visibly reduces wrinkles and lines, and improves the skin’s elasticity and firmness. This product is powered by an amazing red algae extract that are bubbling with peptides. They improve the firmness and elasticity of your skin and bring back your youthful look! The cream itself is not greasy and disappears into the skin right after application, leaving no residue. It does not contain any harmful parabens, sulfates and is gluten-free. Many reviewers have agreed that within a span of a few weeks, fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth and the eyes dulled.
Mary Kay Extra Emollient Cream
This awesome moisturizer works wonders on flaky and very dry skin on your face and neck and hydrates the skin beautifully. Some customers have even claimed that using this product on dry eczema and being healed overnight! A little amount of this cream will go a long way, meaning you will need a small amount for your face and neck. Nourishing elements such as beeswax and mineral oil in it form a protective layer around the skin and seal in the moisture.
Vivo per Lei Dead Sea Night Cream
- MENDS - Fortified with Dead Sea Salts, the Vivo Per Lei Dead Sea Face Moisturizer renews the appearance of skin. This repairing night cream also helps damaged cells and soothes skin.
- REVERSES AGEING SIGNS - A blend of essential oils and minerals in this anti aging night cream aid in the skin's natural collagen production to restore elasticity and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- CLEANS & NOURISHES - This dead sea face cream clears dirt, helping skin breathe. Humectants in this night face cream work to moisturize skin so you wake up with a clearer complexion and supple skin.
- SKIN REGENERATION - Since the regeneration power of skin cells is higher at night, this cell renewal night cream works alongside to improve tone & texture of skin, making it more look youthful & vibrant.
- NON GREASY - This lightweight formula is easy to apply and unlike other hydrating night creams, this firming night cream for oily skin, sensitive skin or dry skin does not leave behind an residue. It glides almost like silk on skin.
This cream that nourishes your skin as you sleep is packed with nutrients and supplements that replenish your the moisture in your skin, making your skin feel soft and silky as you wake up. Its non-greasy formula is absorbed in the skin completely, renewing the way it looks. The active ingredient in this cream using natural ingredients all the way from the Dead Sea of Israel, known for their exfoliating and soothing properties.
Night creams are great when it comes to nourishing, moisturizing and hydrating your skin. They enhance the natural properties of the skin to repair itself at night. Regularly using a night cream will bring these qualities to the optimum level by providing it with essential nutrients, making the skin look younger, supple and softer.