When you have a sensitive scalp, any products containing harsh chemicals like sulfates are a big no-no. What you need are gentle, preferably organic products, with extra nourishing powers. Finding the best shampoo for sensitive scalp is not an easy task, since there are many options out there. We felt that a comprehensive list of such products, compiled based on customer ratings and reviews, would be of assistance, so here it is.
10. Earth Science Shampoo For Sensitive Hair & Scalp
This is an extra gentle shampoo designed especially for individuals with sensitive skin and scalp conditions. Each bottle contains 12 ounces of the good stuff. If you want a shampoo that does not contain chemical fragrances, this might be the best shampoo for sensitive scalp you could try. The main ingredient of this shampoo is coconut, which is very mild and gentle on your skin. It also contains rich emollients that provide a protective shield for the natural oil balance in your scalp. This is a vegan shampoo enriched with the natural goodness of wheat germ extracts, jojoba, and chamomile.
9. Head & Shoulders Purely Gentle Scalp Care 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner
- Dermatologist-tested, gentle shampoo with aloe vera that helps soothe a sensitive scalp.
- Hypoallergenic, dye-free formula leaves hair soft.
- Gentle and pH balanced for everyday use, even on color or chemically treated hair.
- Dandruff shampoo and conditioner keeps hair clean, beautiful and 100% flake free* (*visible flakes with regular use).
- 7 Benefits: Fights dry scalp, calms itchy scalp**, relieves irritation**, reduces redness**, hypoallergenic, stops flaky scalp** and leaves hair looking beautiful (**associated with dandruff).
Do you have a hypersensitive scalp that is being ravaged by dandruff? If so, this shampoo from Head & Shoulders could be your savior. It is a dermatologically-tested product, with a formula that is free from dyes and common allergens. The shampoo is fortified with the healing powers of natural aloe extracts, which provide soothing relief to your scalp. It has a healthy pH balance, and it’s very gentle with the oil balance in your hair and scalp. This product can be safely applied to color-treated hair. The anti-dandruff action is quite competent, and you can expect flake-free scalp and hair in next to no time.
8. DHS Clear Shampoo
- For daily cleaning of hair and scalp
- Designed for those especially sensitive scalps
- Maintains the skin's pH level
This is a daily use shampoo designed specifically for sensitive hair and scalp. The manufacturers have focused on creating a formula that has a very neutral pH balance, which helps maintain the natural pH levels of your skin. Since detergent compounds are some of the worst offenders regarding allergies, this shampoo doesn’t contain any of those compounds. The main ingredients in this shampoo include citric acid and purified water. The product protects your hair and scalp against various conditions like psoriasis, dandruff, and seborrheic dermatitis. This shampoo contains no dyes or artificial fragrances.
7. Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 2 Complete Nutrition Shampoo
- Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 2 Shampoo is a daily use shampoo for moderately damaged or dry hair
- Provides rich nutrition, including glucose, protein and lipids, for dry and damaged hair
- Makes your hair soft, supple, light and full of shine
- Softly bathes hair's most vulnerable areas without weighing it down
- Never tested on animals
If your scalp suffers from excessive dryness on top of hypersensitivity, you need a shampoo tailor-made for your unique condition. This product from Kerastase looks quite promising in that regard. You only get 8.5 ounces of shampoo in a bottle, but there is also a larger 34-ounce bottle that you can buy if you like the product. This shampoo nourishes your hair, with an abundance of glucose, protein, and lipids in its formula. The ingredients contain no harsh detergents, dyes, or fragrances. This is a shampoo that can deliver glowing hair, and a clean and moisture-balanced scalp.
6. Aveeno Pure Renewal Gentle Shampoo
- 10.5-fluid ounce bottle of Aveeno Pure Renewal sulfate-free shampoo to help effectively remove impurities while refreshing and rebalancing hair
- Moisturizing shampoo is designed for all hair types and will help renew your hair to look healthy and rebalance hair's optimal moisture level with each wash, leaving hair healthy looking and full of life
- Aveeno Pure Renewal Shampoo contains naturally derived cleansers and sulfate-free formula to help lift away impurities without over-stripping
- Hair shampoo formulated with Seaweed Extract, which is rich in vitamins, proteins, and minerals to help rebalance hair's optimal moisture
- Moisturizing shampoo formula is safe for color-treated hair leaving hair feeling silky and more manageable for styling
This is a very refreshing shampoo from Aveeno, enriched with seaweed extracts. The extracts are a rich source of nutrients like vitamins, proteins, and minerals. They help create a healthy moisture balance in your hair and scalp, which can help stave away irritation, itching, and dryness. This is a very refreshing product with a gentle, yet effective cleansing action. It is suitable for all hair types, as well as color-treated hair. The shampoo does not contain sulfates or any harsh detergents. Each bottle contains 10.5 fluid ounces of this gentle shampoo.
5. Jason Pure Natural Shampoo
- One 16 oz. bottle of JASON Restorative Biotin Shampoo
- Gently cleanses while restoring strength and moisture to weak, damaged hair
- Made with biotin, vitamin B5 and ginseng and lavender extracts
- Free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, petrolatum and artificial colors
- Not tested on animals
This is a shampoo that is gentle enough for daily use on sensitive skin and scalp. It has a unique bio-degradable formula, with zero parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, phthalates, or artificial dyes. Even the bottle is made from 50% post-consumer recycled resin. The shampoo contains organic ingredients like ginseng, lavender extracts, biotin, and panthenol. They help revitalize damaged hair and scalp, and prevent split ends. The shampoo has been rigorously tested for allergies, but has not undergone any animal testing. You get 16 ounces of product in a bottle.
4. Acure Clarifying Shampoo
- Vegan, gluten and cruelty free
- Paraben, sulfate, silicone, sodium chloride, phthalate and synthetic fragrance free
- Color safe, 100 percent biodegradable
This shampoo is available in three different scents: argan, lemongrass, and mint. But rest assured, as it does not contain any artificial fragrances that wreak havoc on sensitive skin. This is a vegan and gluten-free product, which has not been tested on animals. It contains none of the usual chemicals like sulfates, parabens, chloride, phthalates, or other synthetic stuff. This is a 100% bio-degradable, organic product that is safe for all hair types, and color-treated hair as well. Its gentle cleansing action makes this shampoo the best shampoo for sensitive scalp that requires extra care.
3. Pharmaceutical Specialties Free & Clear Hair Shampoo For Sensitive Skin
- Free of common chemical irritants such as dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde, formaldehyde releasers, and other preservatives.
- pH balanced. For all hair types.
- Cocamidopropyl betaine-free. Sulfate-free. Phosphate-free. Protein-free. Gluten-free.
- Dermatologist tested.
This product has no fragrance or harsh chemical irritants like dyes, lanolin, parabens, or formaldehyde. This sulfate-free shampoo has been tested by dermatologists for any potential skin allergies. It has a healthy pH balance, and is perfectly suited for all types of hair. It can control both flaky and oily scalp conditions. If your hair and scalp have an unhealthy build up of past chemical products, this shampoo can also remove all that. You can get it in 12-ounce bottles.
2. Pure Body Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
- Contains (1) 16 oz. bottle of Moroccan Argan Oil Hydrating Shampoo
- Argan Oil is rich in Vitamin A and E and antioxidants that bring a vibrant shine to dry, damaged hair
- Made with 100% pure Argan Oil, pressed from Moroccan Argan Tree nuts, and natural ingredients like coconut and avocado oil for a brilliant finish
- Pure Body Naturals fosters sustainable partnerships with artisan distillers to provide tested, safe beauty products
- Sulphate-free; never contains parabens, phthalates or unnatural scents, petrolatum or SLS
This shampoo is an organic blend of natural oils, with argan oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, and camellia seed oil. Other organic ingredients include natural vanilla and honey. Argan oil has a proven healing effect on your skin and hair, with zero side effects. This product contains 100% authentic and natural argan oil from Morocco, which is considered the best quality Argan oil in the world. This shampoo can heal, repair, and condition damaged hair and scalp. It is hypoallergenic and contains no sulfates. The refreshing aroma is the result of natural vanilla and the combination of oils, not any artificial fragrances. The shampoo is available in 16-ounce bottles.
1. Majestic Pure Argan Oil Shampoo
- Majestic Pure Argan Oil Shampoo and Argan Oil Conditioner Set; made organic Moroccan argan oil; sulfate free; not tested on animals; Made in USA
- Exclusive blend of beneficial oils and ingredients: Argan Oil, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, Camellia Seed Oil, Botanical Keratin, and Almond Oil and Coconut Oil
- SAFETY WARNING: Rub a very small amount on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of children. If pregnant, consult with your health care provider before use.
- Makes great gift for everyone! This potent formula combo set helps supply shine and a healthy look to hair with its abundance of Vitamin E, carotene and essential fatty acids. Almond oil, rich in proteins, helps soothe dry and irritated areas on the scalp
- Argan Oil Shampoo and Argan Oil Conditioner Set is cruelty free
The top two products that fight for the title of the best shampoo for sensitive scalp both have the same primary ingredients. These are oils like argan oil, jojoba, camellia seed, and almond oil. What sets this version apart from the previous one is the inclusion of coconut oil, avocado oil, and botanical keratin. The argan oil for this product is also sourced from Morocco. This is a gentle shampoo, with zero sulfates. The fragrance is all-natural, and very refreshing as well. This is a great restorative shampoo with a built-in conditioning effect on your hair. It is available in 16-ounce bottles.
Identifying the best shampoo for sensitive scalp involves checking the ingredients listed on the label. Since you might find this task time-consuming and boring, we decided to get the job done for you. We hope that you found the best shampoo for sensitive scalp you want to buy next, and that you have other suggestions for us. If so, please leave a comment below. We appreciate any feedback from our readers.